Monday, March 22, 2010

So we got a puppy

Yesterday we got a puppy. She is a 12 week old Shiba Inu born on Christmas day. Shiba's come in a few different colors: red, red sesame, black and tan, and cream. Ours is a red and with her birthdate, we decided to name her Hollyberry.

First let me start with our journey in getting this pup. When my husband and I were dating we saw someone with an Akita and fell in love with the dog. The foxlike features were so beautiful, we decided then and there that someday we would own an Akita. We researched and discovered Akitas are strong, independant dogs that take a LOT of committment to own. We were okay with that. But life, of course, throws curve balls and it took us eleven years before we were ready to get a dog.

Our son is 7 yrs old and has been asking for a puppy for several years. On January 30, 2010, my husband and I were in the mall and we went into the pet store.... WE NEVER go into the pet store. There he was, a Shiba Inu and he looked just like an Akita. The store let us play with the dog for about a 1/2 hour and we fell in love. We went home and researched Shiba Inus. They are the original Akita. Where Akitas get to be about 80 lbs, the Shiba gets to be about 20-25 lbs. Okay, they are MUCH smaller than we ever planned, but definitely a good fit for our son.

Then we found a breeder only an hour away and they had a new litter... only 2 weeks old. We went up the next day and chose a pup. She was a red, female. We came home, bought a Shiba Inu calendar and started the countdown. 41 days until she was old enough to come home.

The next six weeks were all about the puppy. Buying crates, food, toys... everything she would need. We went to a puppy potty training class. We watched The Dog Whisperer. We watched everything to do with dogs. We went up to visit Seiko when she was 5 weeks and played with her. We were ready.

The day arrived. Friday, March 12th, we brought home Seiko (our Japanese watch dog). She was TINY, only 2 1/2 lbs and was nothing more than a little furball. Friday, my son chased her around the house, they cuddled. We all bonded. Saturday, I was at my writer's meeting and Seiko was home with my husband and son all day. Every time I called ... like a new mom away from her baby for the first time... Seiko was sleeping. Sunday morning, though, we woke to her being sick. It was coming out liquid on both ends. We called the breeder and they said bring her back. We had no idea she was as sick as she was and on that Wed, Seiko passed away from parvovirus.

We were all devestated. We cried all week. But of course our breeder gave us a replacement puppy. Now we had to prepare for Hollyberry to come home. With Seiko having parvovirus, we took no chances. I threw out the rug in the living room and the rugs in the mudroom, both of which she got sick on. I bleached the floors 2 days in a row then steam cleaned them on the 3rd day. All Seiko's toys were tossed away. Crates were bleached.

Yesterday arrived with mixed emotions. My son even had a stomach ache with nerves. Now, he couldn't explain it, but I figure he was scared this dog would die too. It broke my heart. But we traveled the hour north to the kennel.

They brought out Hollyberry and OMG! She is so much bigger than Seiko. She came into the room and was like a tornado, running around, playing with her toy, and pouncing all over the place. But when I was able to grab her, she settled nicely in my arms. A good sign? I hope so.

We brought her home. Now we prepare for life with a puppy. Holly seems to be happy. We took her for walks but she refused to go potty while we were out. Figures. We've had a few accidents inside. We'll work on that, I guess.

We went to bed around 10 and took her out before that but she refused to go potty. I got up with her at 3 and took her out. Nothing. Got up with her at 6, took her out. Nothing. Finally at 7, she ate, drank and pee'd before we had time to react.

Yep, it's going to be a fun journey. We are all looking forward to it, and I hope you'll take the journey with me. Will I post every day? Probably not. But I will try to post weekly and let you know how life with a Shiba Inu is going.

Will all my posts be about Hollyberry? No. I'm a wife, mom, and writer. My son makes me laugh so much, that I will have to post about his antics as well.

I look forward to meeting new people... moms and dog owners alike, as I forage into the world of blogging.

TTFN!

7 comments:

  1. Welcome to the world of blogging, Gina. Congrats on a healthy pup this time around. I myself have 2 dogs, a greyhound and a springer spaniel. The joy they bring the kids especially makes it almost worth the effort. Enjoy puppy hood and I look forward to reading more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Emma. As I think we discussed before, I also think having the puppy will be great for my son's sensory issues. And I think I will have fun blogging. Thanks for checking in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the entrance into the blogging world... shall I make you a logo/banner for your title/page header?!? :-)

    -Rachel
    (Dawson of course :) )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rachel -- do you think I would turn that down? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. haha okay, you'll be on my list for this week! anything that strikes your fancy or do you want me to do a few ideas for you?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Surprise me Rachel. You're the best.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hollyberry is absolutely gorgeous Gina! Love your blog, looking forward to the next insallment!

    ReplyDelete